• IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
  • Click to Join
  • Feedback Thoughts on the SOTW?

skisam

Thoughts on the SOTW

Through seasons I've played here on OPLegends, I haven't really seen a season like this one. When I was beta testing I was kind of hesitant, not only for OPLegends for new players as well. Here are my thoughts on SOTW as a player with experience from seasons.
    This is not hatred towards the server, only constructive criticism and what they can improve.

Player count

I don't want to assume anything, granted I didn't see much youtubers record before SOTW. I feel however that player count matters in multiple ways.
    a. can show likeliness to a server most times. (timezones can differ this)
    b. how the gameplay is living up to new features. (good or bad)
    c. the way owners can interpret this.

Over the past year I've heard the owners talking about how they want to change the style of the gameplay. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see never before-seen Minecraft mechanics, but they can also impact player count negatively in the process.

Here's some issues I believe OPLegends is encountering within player count (Opinion)

a. new player confusion
    b. simply unmotivating
    c. the viewers partners are bringing (i'll get to this)
    d. overwhelming competition
    e. too much of a grind/features

a. new player confusion

When I look for a server, I don't want it to be too confusing and a lot to look at. I believe the owners are caught up in making features new, rather than thinking about the new players that come. Last map they added in a help menu in your inventory, but I think not a lot of people look at that and simply don't open the tool (Asked this to friends that tried OPLegends.)

b. simply unmotivating

This ties into new player confusion however, not being motivated is a broader term. If you don't understand the server at all and don't get into it, it's not going to be motivating to your liking and you're not gonna find a purpose to play. I feel most new players that join get unmotivated simply because of gameplay or it's just the gamemode because a lot of people don't want to sit down holding your mouse all day.

c. the viewers partners are bringing

I don't usually pay attention to partners and medias in-game. but I was confused today by the amount of people talking in another language. By to my surprise it was the partners bringing in a foreign language audience. I felt it was fine until you get warned for it. Think of it this way. If I joined a fun prison server but it was Spanish only and asked for help, but then got a warn what's the point in playing?
    Instead of warning I feel there could be a /chat feature in which theres multi-language chats.

d. overwhelming competition

If you have played other competitive server, you probably noticed that the comp can be overwhelming. There's no fix to this cause it's how the servers go. But flexing I got 10 monthlies could make you want to quit.

e. too much of a grind/features

I went over this, but I feel like OPLegends currently has too many things going on. I've had so many people asking me what this and that do and have had to spend a lot of time explaining.

e1. Gameplay is too slow

I heard this in chat today too many times to count and that's how the gameplay is such much slower than last season. Again, the owners wanted to make it slower on purpose to make it more of a grind but I think they made it a little too slow, making people unmotivated and don't want to play.

e2. soulbound pickaxes

There was so much complaint around this, and I personally didn't think having it would be the best idea. Due to pickaxes being soul bound, there's hardly any use for people coming together and sharing what they work for. A couple posts back I make a suggestion on a gang scroll, which would provide the pickaxe to be used amongst your gang and only your gang.

e2. crates

Crates this season had a massive overhaul and got "nerfed" to match the grindy gameplay. Many complained about this saying it was a rip-off since everyone's used to previous seasons. I felt they should've lowered the price of the crates.

Conclusion.

Granted I could be all wrong in this. Students are enjoying summer and it's only the first day. But I found this to be an ongoing trend within the server over the course of the OPL seasons and maybe some can relate. I hope the owners can look at this and reflect on how another season could go differently.

Let me know how SOTW went for you.​

iJarnz

I basically think the same about it tbh.

I really don't like how they changed pets this season ( myokan knows about it ). The satisfaction of grinding for a pet and finally achieving a mythical, immortal pet was so nice. It gave me something to grind for but now that it's basically ''' Impossible '' to get a immortal pet i'm losing motivation to grind.

I have a neutral feeling about soulbound pickaxes.
    Personally i don't mind that it's soulbounded because i always grinded my own stuff, but i understand why alot of people complain about it.

I also noticed that they just slowed down the progress but they have no new real features ingame. Basically the same as last season but way slower progression.

Y'all know how i think about Partners so i'm not even gonna take time to write something about it.

ImMojoPlays

Helper
    I basically think the same about it tbh.

I really don't like how they changed pets this season ( myokan knows about it ). The satisfaction of grinding for a pet and finally achieving a mythical, immortal pet was so nice. It gave me something to grind for but now that it's basically ''' Impossible '' to get a immortal pet i'm losing motivation to grind.

I have a neutral feeling about soulbound pickaxes.
    Personally i don't mind that it's soulbounded because i always grinded my own stuff, but i understand why alot of people complain about it.

I also noticed that they just slowed down the progress but they have no new real features ingame. Basically the same as last season but way slower progression.

Y'all know how i think about Partners so i'm not even gonna take time to write something about it.
    I would say add partnwr requirements like 2 videos a week or smthn, if you don't meet the requirements ur role will be taken away and you will have to reapply and you get a strike, 3 strikes and you can't be partner again.

myokan

Owner
    This has been very useful feedback and have mostly been things I've been aware of since the start. Really, the issue with balancing is it's always possible to make things easier, but it's practically impossible to make things more difficult after they've been made easy. The goal of this reset is to work towards that balance, but it always has to be done by swinging the pendulum too far one way. Over the last 4 maps or so, our gameplay has gotten progressively easier to the point where major gameplay elements were being exhausted in days when they are supposed to take weeks. While it's tempting to ask for "more content", the core problem is it is not possible to do this when the gameplay mechanics behind this content are exhausted.

Really, you can think of the start-of-the-world as us setting the upper barrier of Prison difficulty. Clearly, this has proven to be too "grindy" to some, and that's why we are now working in the other direction to get this balance right.

To conclude, I'll go over each of these points in detail:

When I look for a server, I don't want it to be too confusing and a lot to look at. I believe the owners are caught up in making features new, rather than thinking about the new players that come. Last map they added in a help menu in your inventory, but I think not a lot of people look at that and simply don't open the tool (Asked this to friends that tried OPLegends.)
    Our server being unapproachable to new players has been of concern since the start. I agree that our gameplay loop has lots of moving parts to it which can be confusing to explain to new players, but really the help menu was not supposed to address this. The way to address this issue is to rework gameplay mechanics, which is something that has to be done delicately (just look at this SOTW) as it can make a lot of people angry.

This ties into new player confusion however, not being motivated is a broader term. If you don't understand the server at all and don't get into it, it's not going to be motivating to your liking and you're not gonna find a purpose to play. I feel most new players that join get unmotivated simply because of gameplay or it's just the gamemode because a lot of people don't want to sit down holding your mouse all day.
    Honestly, part of this is how Prison is as a gamemode. This is why we are putting so much effort into our better revamped Skyblock offering. However, for the part of this that we can control, I can say that it's important for all of our gameplay to be spread out across the proper timeframe. For example, people obtaining maxed out pickaxes week 2 of the season can contribute a lot to this feeling, and that's part of what these balancing improvements are aimed to address.

I don't usually pay attention to partners and medias in-game. but I was confused today by the amount of people talking in another language. By to my surprise it was the partners bringing in a foreign language audience. I felt it was fine until you get warned for it. Think of it this way. If I joined a fun prison server but it was Spanish only and asked for help, but then got a warn what's the point in playing?
    Instead of warning I feel there could be a /chat feature in which theres multi-language chats.
    I've been aware of this but it isn't really something I'm in control of. I was and still am conflicted about having a multi-language presence in our community because we really do not have the resources (staff, chat channels, server localization, etc) to deal with a multi-language community, and that's why I was against this decision after hearing about it.

If you have played other competitive server, you probably noticed that the comp can be overwhelming. There's no fix to this cause it's how the servers go. But flexing I got 10 monthlies could make you want to quit.
    I agree that this sort of attitude in our community somewhat might be offputting to new members of our community. I've been thinking about this and how we can improve it, but I'm afraid I don't have an answer to it yet.

I heard this in chat today too many times to count and that's how the gameplay is such much slower than last season. Again, the owners wanted to make it slower on purpose to make it more of a grind but I think they made it a little too slow, making people unmotivated and don't want to play.
    Read above, but there's certainly an element to this. We need to make sure that the core gameplay lasts for the intended duration of our season so we can plan other updates, features, and meaningful content around it. A good way to put it is that we can't add meaningful content if there's no overarching goal, and in the past all of the overarching goals were exhausted within 2 weeks, which is a problem. Clearly we have swung the pendulum too far the other way, but we will quickly correct it.

Crates this season had a massive overhaul and got "nerfed" to match the grindy gameplay. Many complained about this saying it was a rip-off since everyone's used to previous seasons. I felt they should've lowered the price of the crates.
    Part of the point of the crate changes has been to allow gameplay to last a full 6 weeks. Balancing adjustments to crates are currently being considered but I don't have anything to announce on this just yet.

Overall, it's important to remember that we are aware of your concerns & complaints and are doing everything we can to get gameplay properly balanced.

skisam

This has been very useful feedback and have mostly been things I've been aware of since the start. Really, the issue with balancing is it's always possible to make things easier, but it's practically impossible to make things more difficult after they've been made easy. The goal of this reset is to work towards that balance, but it always has to be done by swinging the pendulum too far one way. Over the last 4 maps or so, our gameplay has gotten progressively easier to the point where major gameplay elements were being exhausted in days when they are supposed to take weeks. While it's tempting to ask for "more content", the core problem is it is not possible to do this when the gameplay mechanics behind this content are exhausted.

Really, you can think of the start-of-the-world as us setting the upper barrier of Prison difficulty. Clearly, this has proven to be too "grindy" to some, and that's why we are now working in the other direction to get this balance right.

To conclude, I'll go over each of these points in detail:

Our server being unapproachable to new players has been of concern since the start. I agree that our gameplay loop has lots of moving parts to it which can be confusing to explain to new players, but really the help menu was not supposed to address this. The way to address this issue is to rework gameplay mechanics, which is something that has to be done delicately (just look at this SOTW) as it can make a lot of people angry.

Honestly, part of this is how Prison is as a gamemode. This is why we are putting so much effort into our better revamped Skyblock offering. However, for the part of this that we can control, I can say that it's important for all of our gameplay to be spread out across the proper timeframe. For example, people obtaining maxed out pickaxes week 2 of the season can contribute a lot to this feeling, and that's part of what these balancing improvements are aimed to address.

I've been aware of this but it isn't really something I'm in control of. I was and still am conflicted about having a multi-language presence in our community because we really do not have the resources (staff, chat channels, server localization, etc) to deal with a multi-language community, and that's why I was against this decision after hearing about it.

I agree that this sort of attitude in our community somewhat might be offputting to new members of our community. I've been thinking about this and how we can improve it, but I'm afraid I don't have an answer to it yet.

Read above, but there's certainly an element to this. We need to make sure that the core gameplay lasts for the intended duration of our season so we can plan other updates, features, and meaningful content around it. A good way to put it is that we can't add meaningful content if there's no overarching goal, and in the past all of the overarching goals were exhausted within 2 weeks, which is a problem. Clearly we have swung the pendulum too far the other way, but we will quickly correct it.

Part of the point of the crate changes has been to allow gameplay to last a full 6 weeks. Balancing adjustments to crates are currently being considered but I don't have anything to announce on this just yet.

Overall, it's important to remember that we are aware of your concerns & complaints and are doing everything we can to get gameplay properly balanced.
    Thanks for the feeeback. I think you should consider player input more in the future. ex. Ozone didn’t go as planned but it could’ve been better with community council suggestions or chat.

Kieran

Manager
    Thanks for the feeeback. I think you should consider player input more in the future. ex. Ozone didn’t go as planned but it could’ve been better with community council suggestions or chat.

The issue with a community council, is that it can be biased. Hence why we added the suggestions and feedback. We made this open for anyone to suggest and comment on other posts.

skisam

The issue with a community council, is that it can be biased. Hence why we added the suggestions and feedback. We made this open for anyone to suggest and comment on other posts.
    community council was better before the change because the owners would hand select people that make either good suggestions or have played for multiple seasons and understood what the eco what like. Anyone can vouch on that.

also everything is gonna be biased no matter if its forums or community council. everyone has different thoughts

iJarnz

The reason community council existed was to give feedback and give suggestions about what *Everyone* wanted. The people that were in community council played the server alot and knew how people think about the server.

Droppinq_

For me, I don’t play prison but I was looking at the player count every few hours and once it dropped to under 300 within the first few hours, I knew it was not gonna be so good. I think you guys should get rid of the soulbound pickaxes completely. This prisons server is a casual server, it’s not supposed to be a fully competive server. Kids come on here with friends maybe and plan to grind and use the same pickaxe but then relize they can’t work together and just stop playing.

I also feel like prisons just gets boring for people to come back to for 5 seasons. Ik I bet some has changed but, it’s prisons, how much can you really change. Unlike skyblock, you can change the economy each map. Prisons, it’s just mining and buying upgrades. It’s seem to repetitive for me playing pretty much the same seaosn over and over again.

The final thing is like to add is, when skisam was talking abt the media’s and partners, I saw some streaming but you guys hyped up RKY so much and he wasent even streaming/online for the release?? That’s the best time for him to do it so he can bring more people on, for the release.

skisam

For me, I don’t play prison but I was looking at the player count every few hours and once it dropped to under 300 within the first few hours, I knew it was not gonna be so good. I think you guys should get rid of the soulbound pickaxes completely. This prisons server is a casual server, it’s not supposed to be a fully competive server. Kids come on here with friends maybe and plan to grind and use the same pickaxe but then relize they can’t work together and just stop playing.

I also feel like prisons just gets boring for people to come back to for 5 seasons. Ik I bet some has changed but, it’s prisons, how much can you really change. Unlike skyblock, you can change the economy each map. Prisons, it’s just mining and buying upgrades. It’s seem to repetitive for me playing pretty much the same seaosn over and over again.

The final thing is like to add is, when skisam was talking abt the media’s and partners, I saw some streaming but you guys hyped up RKY so much and he wasent even streaming/online for the release?? That’s the best time for him to do it so he can bring more people on, for the release.
    Exactly. RKY is also a bedwars player so It doesn't make sense that they would hire him.