• IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
  • Click to Join
  • Official Skyblock's Future: a new generation!

myokan

Owner
    Screenshot_OPLegends(2).png
    Since the start of OPLegends, our focus has always been to provide unparalleled gameplay experiences. Today, we're announcing our plans to ensure that this is the case for Skyblock. As many of you know, our Skyblock offerings have always been lackluster to say the best. This is not our first time realizing this. We have tried our hardest to make a compelling version of the game every reset, but in one way or another it hasn't worked out. While our Prison gamemode has excelled since the start, our Skyblock has not had this same note of success. We have a plan to correct this.

Our Technical Solution to this Problem

I know some of you might not want to read this section because it really does delve into the details, but in case you do, here's a technical explanation of what we're doing :) it's really fascinating and a huge undertaking!

Since even before OPLegends launched, a good friend and myself have been working on a truly innovative framework that will revolutionize multiplayer servers. We have designed a large-scale system which allows us to seamlessly host tens of thousands of players on the latest version of the game (1.16 now, 1.17 when it is released, so on and so forth). By combining smart design principles with our collective 15 years in experience with this game and in software development, we are confident that this system will be the future. With all of our previous technology, we have been trapped in a cycle where we are forced to rewrite large portions of our server to handle more players. Jumping from 100 players to 200, for example, required weeks worth of massive changes to our codebase. Jumping from 200 to 300 required even more time. Handling 400 players took us a solid month of optimization. We could continue this cycle, but there are a few big problems with it:
    1. It is incredibly stressful and difficult on our development team. Imagine the stress of taking an exam for school, except instead of feeling it for an hour, you are always feeling that level of stress. Now multiply that by 10 and you can start to feel the impact that this has on the mental health of our team. This leads to burnout, and that compromises our ability to develop better gameplay. Hiring new developers unfortunately does not fix this problem either.
    2. At this pace, we won't ever be able to hold thousands or tens of thousands of players. We need a major leap forward.
    3. We are getting very limited with what we can do because we are not on the latest version of Minecraft. The statistics are very clear: the vast majority of players play on the latest version of the game. Newer versions of the game give us the ability to add incredible things with a little bit of help from forced Resource Packs. You'll see more on this later, but basically, we are no longer limited with content creation potential. Instead of the game getting boring and stale and having nothing to do about it, we can push incredible new experiences without requiring mods!
    Clearly, this solution is good for the long run. The only problem with this is it isn't quite ready yet. While we have been doing staff testing for the last 2 weeks, we aren't ready to open this up to the public, and so we need to buy some time so we can focus on gameplay development.

The Advantage: Bringing back a fun game!

Skyblock as we know it on most servers has gotten stale. Just look at the top networks (excluding Hypixel of course): their Skyblock offerings, like ours, have gotten less popular in the last year. This isn't by accident. There are better alternatives out there, and I believe we need to jump to a new level to be able to provide real competition to the largest network.

We do have a distinct advantage in this category. Unlike the largest networks which are stuck on 1.8 due to incredibly complicated technical systems, we are able to embrace the latest version of Minecraft and all of the great features that it brings with it. Adding in a mandatory resource pack, we can accomplish some truly breathtaking and revolutionary experiences, truly changing the game without any barrier to entry for anyone. By being able to focus on content, we will be able to push ourselves higher than we have ever done before. Here are some amazing things we've already made since starting on the actual gameplay work last month (following over a year of designing our framework):

MineGameplay(1).png

Here I am running away from some dangerous mobs in one of the mines. See how many different things you can spot in this image... keep in mind this is all Vanilla Minecraft without any mods!

1621043990287.png

Our island control panel system. You can be a part of multiple islands at once, manage your members, change permissions/settings, and even take a look at the featured listings system, where islands can advertise themselves and get posted to a board for a small amount of gems!
    1621044414180.png

Here I am in my inventory. I've got some Mushroom Armor, Netherite Armor, and Ruby Armor on. You can see I also have my control panel to the right, where I can access my crafting table, backpack, mailbox, and an all-encompassing skyblock menu.
    1621046593847.png
    My netherite armor. You can see that there are some awesome custom enchants, item leveling, gear stats, and other incredible gameplay mechanics that will make our tool and armor system the best available on any server. We're taking this same approach to quality with every single thing on the server!

1621044479543.png

Here's a preview of some of what you can expect from our Skyblock! We have mining, arena mob combat (infinite), island coop features, a market economy, and even raiding (where you spawn on a copy of someone's island and destroy it as best as you can under time pressure for rewards, Clash of Clans style!)

Keeping in mind we're still under development and can't give too much away, we have some really amazing things! From a full-blown but dumbed down stock market economy to cooperative island features to circuit blocks to amazing cosmetics to awesome new gameplay ideas, we have a lot of really amazing stuff in the works!

The Disadvantage: It still isn't ready :(

This is the tough part. As much as I would love to release this tomorrow, it just isn't ready yet. That puts us in a tough spot. Clearly, this is a WAY BETTER replacement to our generic and tired Skyblock gamemode. However, we still need to finish gameplay, undergo closed testing, and undergo a public beta test before we can consider launching this to the public and having it grow. That puts us in a very tough position because we understand and empathize with the dedication that our small but loyal Skyblock community has. However, I firmly believe our plan will help us gracefully transition from our old Skyblock offering to this.

The Transition Period: how we're going to make it as painless as possible

There are a few major concerns that I know you must have, and I will address them all individually. If you have a question that isn't addressed by this section, reply and I will make sure to answer as much as I can!

What will happen to Skyblock Utopia?

Effective on May 16th (Sunday), we will be closing Skyblock Utopia. This is not closing early: it has lived a full map.

Instead of resetting SB Utopia, we will be focusing our development efforts entirely on this next generation of Skyblock as well as continued updates and resets to Prison.

What will happen to my ranks, tags, crate keys, and other purchases I made on Skyblock Utopia?

Your purchases will be transferred to the fullest extent.
    Skyblock V2 uses a completely different monetization model and includes a premium currency. This premium currency (gems) can be purchased from our webstore. To fairly compensate everyone who supported us in exchange for ranks, crate keys, and other perks, the total dollar value of EVERY PURCHASE YOU EVER MADE ON SKYBLOCK UTOPIA will be appropriately converted into Gems. We believe this is the fairest, sincerest, and best way to compensate you for your purchases. You can choose to spend your gems however you want, on exactly what you want.

How long will Skyblock V2 take to be out to the general public?

The short answer: It will be out "when it is ready", and you can rest assured that we are all working on getting it ready nonstop.

We have been testing the game with staff members for the last two weeks. We plan to begin closed alpha testing with normal players in mid-June. This will be free to enter but will have limited space, so you will need to enter a raffle to gain access to test if you wish to.

Following a period of closed alpha testing, we will fix issues with our system and improve gameplay. Following this, we will have a public beta launch, with the plan being to have a full release shortly after this period.

Will Skyblock V2 have resets?

We are going to try a completely different model of gameplay. Rather than having short maps which get boring after a week, our tenative plan is to have no resets with Skyblock V2. Instead of resetting, we will be pushing content updates on a regular basis with new gear, new enchants, new gameplay features, and more. In my opinion, this is a much better model. You won't lose your hard earned progress or your amazing builds. There's a reason that most MMO games don't reset, and it's a good thing to have a server that doesn't reset.

Why does Skyblock Utopia need to shut down for this?

We are a small development team. In order to give this incredible next generation of Skyblock a chance, we need our full team's development efforts on it. We believe this is the best way to ensure that we deliver a quality experience, and ultimately we believe it is better to have a pause of a few weeks of downtime to accomplish this than to continue to push mediocre (or frankly bad) 1.12 Skyblock Utopia resets.

What will happen to Prison?

Our plan with Prison is to continue to push updates and regular resets. We have a huge YouTuber coming on board for next map in early June, and we're really excited about this! We will not be pausing Prison to any extent and will continue to push content updates and resets for it on a regular basis.

What will this mean for the long-term future of the network?

Quite simply, this means that we will be able to provide amazing gameplay on a level we have never been capable of before. This summer is really an exciting time for us and we can't wait to show what we have to offer.

Will this new Skyblock be pay-to-win?

Over the last few years, there has been a huge shift away from pay-to-win servers. We understand this and want to make sure that our monetization efforts do not impede on anyone's gameplay experience. Our monetization will be focused on two factors. First, we will offer amazing cosmetics like hats and titles. Second, we will offer other premium items: gameplay affecting items which help you but do not negatively impact others. This new generation of Skyblock is a casual, player-versus-environment experience. Because of this, we are able to offer things like enderchest pages, additional island member slots, access to commands (/craft, /echest, /enchant, /fly), and more gameplay affecting items while still being 100% EULA compliant (according to Mojang's latest Commercial Usage Guidelines, last updated April 2020). This is a wonderful thing that Mojang has done for the PvE community in the last year, and we will be able to grow and prosper because of it.

We are able to offer gameplay affecting items which are still EULA compliant because we are offering a PvE experience. Because this is entirely player-versus-environment, has no competitive elements to it, and all packages do not negatively impact others, these advantages are not classified as "competitive gameplay advantages" according to Mojang's guidelines. You can read them for yourself: https://account.mojang.com/terms#commercial
    1621046420788.png

To be very clear, we will be offering monetization which does not negatively impact other players but still rewards those who provide us with the financial support we need to operate. We have full-time developers, managers, and more that we need to operate. We can't grow without monetization, but we will make it fair and still exciting for our loyal supporters who have allowed us to get this far.

Conclusion

In conclusion, we are on the brink of entering an incredible new era of OPLegends. Since the start, our focus has always been on the player. We want your gameplay experience to be the best possible, and by investing tens of thousands of dollars and over a year of our nonstop work in this incredible system, we believe that we will be able to take our gameplay offering to the next level.

I have always believed that our community is something special. I have never seen anything like this community, and I know that we have what it takes to grow to one of the largest communities out there. On top of our community, our team is also amazing. I'm so incredibly blessed to work with our great staff and management teams, and I can't wait for us to grow this summer.

Thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

Last edited:

Zlurpy

Administrator
    Since the start of OPLegends, our focus has always been to provide unparalleled gameplay experiences. Today, we're announcing our plans to ensure that this is the case for Skyblock. As many of you know, our Skyblock offerings have always been lackluster to say the best. This is not our first time realizing this. We have tried our hardest to make a compelling version of the game every reset, but in one way or another it hasn't worked out. While our Prison gamemode has excelled since the start, our Skyblock has not had this same note of success. We have a plan to correct this.

I know some of you might not want to read this section because it really does delve into the details, but in case you do, here's a technical explanation of what we're doing :) it's really fascinating and a huge undertaking!

Since even before OPLegends launched, a good friend and myself have been working on a truly innovative framework that will revolutionize multiplayer servers. We have designed a large-scale system which allows us to seamlessly host tens of thousands of players on the latest version of the game (1.16 now, 1.17 when it is released, so on and so forth). By combining smart design principles with our collective 15 years in experience with this game and in software development, we are confident that this system will be the future. With all of our previous technology, we have been trapped in a cycle where we are forced to rewrite large portions of our server to handle more players. Jumping from 100 players to 200, for example, required weeks worth of massive changes to our codebase. Jumping from 200 to 300 required even more time. Handling 400 players took us a solid month of optimization. We could continue this cycle, but there are a few big problems with it:
    1. It is incredibly stressful and difficult on our development team. Imagine the stress of taking an exam for school, except instead of feeling it for an hour, you are always feeling that level of stress. Now multiply that by 10 and you can start to feel the impact that this has on the mental health of our team. This leads to burnout, and that compromises our ability to develop better gameplay. Hiring new developers unfortunately does not fix this problem either.
    2. At this pace, we won't ever be able to hold thousands or tens of thousands of players. We need a major leap forward.
    3. We are getting very limited with what we can do because we are not on the latest version of Minecraft. The statistics are very clear: the vast majority of players play on the latest version of the game. Newer versions of the game give us the ability to add incredible things with a little bit of help from forced Resource Packs. You'll see more on this later, but basically, we are no longer limited with content creation potential. Instead of the game getting boring and stale and having nothing to do about it, we can push incredible new experiences without requiring mods!
    Clearly, this solution is good for the long run. The only problem with this is it isn't quite ready yet. While we have been doing staff testing for the last 2 weeks, we aren't ready to open this up to the public, and so we need to buy some time so we can focus on gameplay development.

Skyblock as we know it on most servers has gotten stale. Just look at the top networks (excluding Hypixel of course): their Skyblock offerings, like ours, have gotten less popular in the last year. This isn't by accident. There are better alternatives out there, and I believe we need to jump to a new level to be able to provide real competition to the largest network.

We do have a distinct advantage in this category. Unlike the largest networks which are stuck on 1.8 due to incredibly complicated technical systems, we are able to embrace the latest version of Minecraft and all of the great features that it brings with it. Adding in a mandatory resource pack, we can accomplish some truly breathtaking and revolutionary experiences, truly changing the game without any barrier to entry for anyone. By being able to focus on content, we will be able to push ourselves higher than we have ever done before. Here are some amazing things we've already made since starting on the actual gameplay work last month (following over a year of designing our framework):

View attachment 109
    Here I am running away from some dangerous mobs in one of the mines. See how many different things you can spot in this image... keep in mind this is all Vanilla Minecraft without any mods!

View attachment 108
    Our island control panel system. You can be a part of multiple islands at once, manage your members, change permissions/settings, and even take a look at the featured listings system, where islands can advertise themselves and get posted to a board for a small amount of gems!
    View attachment 110
    Here I am in my inventory. I've got some Mushroom Armor, Netherite Armor, and Ruby Armor on. You can see I also have my control panel to the right, where I can access my crafting table, backpack, mailbox, and an all-encompassing skyblock menu.
    View attachment 113
    My netherite armor. You can see that there are some awesome custom enchants, item leveling, gear stats, and other incredible gameplay mechanics that will make our tool and armor system the best available on any server. We're taking this same approach to quality with every single thing on the server!

View attachment 111
    Here's a preview of some of what you can expect from our Skyblock! We have mining, arena mob combat (infinite), island coop features, a market economy, and even raiding (where you spawn on a copy of someone's island and destroy it as best as you can under time pressure for rewards, Clash of Clans style!)

Keeping in mind we're still under development and can't give too much away, we have some really amazing things! From a full-blown but dumbed down stock market economy to cooperative island features to circuit blocks to amazing cosmetics to awesome new gameplay ideas, we have a lot of really amazing stuff in the works!

This is the tough part. As much as I would love to release this tomorrow, it just isn't ready yet. That puts us in a tough spot. Clearly, this is a WAY BETTER replacement to our generic and tired Skyblock gamemode. However, we still need to finish gameplay, undergo closed testing, and undergo a public beta test before we can consider launching this to the public and having it grow. That puts us in a very tough position because we understand and empathize with the dedication that our small but loyal Skyblock community has. However, I firmly believe our plan will help us gracefully transition from our old Skyblock offering to this.

There are a few major concerns that I know you must have, and I will address them all individually. If you have a question that isn't addressed by this section, reply and I will make sure to answer as much as I can!

Effective on May 16th (Sunday), we will be closing Skyblock Utopia. This is not closing early: it has lived a full map.

Instead of resetting SB Utopia, we will be focusing our development efforts entirely on this next generation of Skyblock as well as continued updates and resets to Prison.

What will happen to my ranks, tags, crate keys, and other purchases I made on Skyblock Utopia?

Skyblock V2 uses a completely different monetization model and includes a premium currency. This premium currency (gems) can be purchased from our webstore. To fairly compensate everyone who supported us in exchange for ranks, crate keys, and other perks, the total dollar value of EVERY PURCHASE YOU EVER MADE ON SKYBLOCK UTOPIA will be appropriately converted into Gems. We believe this is the fairest, sincerest, and best way to compensate you for your purchases. You can choose to spend your gems however you want, on exactly what you want.

The short answer: It will be out "when it is ready", and you can rest assured that we are all working on getting it ready nonstop.

We have been testing the game with staff members for the last two weeks. We plan to begin closed alpha testing with normal players in mid-June. This will be free to enter but will have limited space, so you will need to enter a raffle to gain access to test if you wish to.

Following a period of closed alpha testing, we will fix issues with our system and improve gameplay. Following this, we will have a public beta launch, with the plan being to have a full release shortly after this period.

We are going to try a completely different model of gameplay. Rather than having short maps which get boring after a week, our tenative plan is to have no resets with Skyblock V2. Instead of resetting, we will be pushing content updates on a regular basis with new gear, new enchants, new gameplay features, and more. In my opinion, this is a much better model. You won't lose your hard earned progress or your amazing builds. There's a reason that most MMO games don't reset, and it's a good thing to have a server that doesn't reset.

We are a small development team. In order to give this incredible next generation of Skyblock a chance, we need our full team's development efforts on it. We believe this is the best way to ensure that we deliver a quality experience, and ultimately we believe it is better to have a pause of a few weeks of downtime to accomplish this than to continue to push mediocre (or frankly bad) 1.12 Skyblock Utopia resets.

Our plan with Prison is to continue to push updates and regular resets. We have a huge YouTuber coming on board for next map in early June, and we're really excited about this! We will not be pausing Prison to any extent and will continue to push content updates and resets for it on a regular basis.

Quite simply, this means that we will be able to provide amazing gameplay on a level we have never been capable of before. This summer is really an exciting time for us and we can't wait to show what we have to offer.

Over the last few years, there has been a huge shift away from pay-to-win servers. We understand this and want to make sure that our monetization efforts do not impede on anyone's gameplay experience. Our monetization will be focused on two factors. First, we will offer amazing cosmetics like hats and titles. Second, we will offer other premium items: gameplay affecting items which help you but do not negatively impact others. This new generation of Skyblock is a casual, player-versus-environment experience. Because of this, we are able to offer things like enderchest pages, additional island member slots, access to commands (/craft, /echest, /enchant, /fly), and more gameplay affecting items while still being 100% EULA compliant (according to Mojang's latest Commercial Usage Guidelines, last updated April 2020). This is a wonderful thing that Mojang has done for the PvE community in the last year, and we will be able to grow and prosper because of it.

We are able to offer gameplay affecting items which are still EULA compliant because we are offering a PvE experience. Because this is entirely player-versus-environment, has no competitive elements to it, and all packages do not negatively impact others, these advantages are not classified as "competitive gameplay advantages" according to Mojang's guidelines. You can read them for yourself: https://account.mojang.com/terms#commercial
    View attachment 112

To be very clear, we will be offering monetization which does not negatively impact other players but still rewards those who provide us with the financial support we need to operate. We have full-time developers, managers, and more that we need to operate. We can't grow without monetization, but we will make it fair and still exciting for our loyal supporters who have allowed us to get this far.

Conclusion

In conclusion, we are on the brink of entering an incredible new era of OPLegends. Since the start, our focus has always been on the player. We want your gameplay experience to be the best possible, and by investing tens of thousands of dollars and over a year of our nonstop work in this incredible system, we believe that we will be able to take our gameplay offering to the next level.

I have always believed that our community is something special. I have never seen anything like this community, and I know that we have what it takes to grow to one of the largest communities out there. On top of our community, our team is also amazing. I'm so incredibly blessed to work with our great staff and management teams, and I can't wait for us to grow this summer.

Can’t wait 😊

Tom

Manager

View attachment 109

View attachment 108
    View attachment 110
    View attachment 113

View attachment 111

View attachment 112

Conclusion

I honestly can't wait, I haven't had much time to test due to college work now that's all over I'm hyped to start trying it out

AkuroPlays

Helper

View attachment 109

View attachment 108
    View attachment 110
    View attachment 113

View attachment 111

View attachment 112

Conclusion

ayo can't wait :) #HYPE

skisam

Maybe add in a /redeem system in case we wanna get tags or other cosmetics. Is that possible?

Specter

View attachment 109

View attachment 108
    View attachment 110
    View attachment 113

View attachment 111

View attachment 112

Conclusion

This going to be lit