Official TrailerHey everyone!
Last week, we introduced Modern Prison as the new addition to OPLegends. Over the past week, we've been testing with a small group of testers and have been working on completing the server. Now, we're happy to announce the full release of Modern Prison. Without a doubt, this is definitely the best Prison gamemode we've ever made, and many who have tried it have called it the best Prison server beyond any doubt. We're really excited to release this as we believe it will set a new bar for Minecraft servers. Over a year of work has gone into this gamemode, and we think that everyone will enjoy it
Release Date & Time
Saturday, August 7th, 2021
3PM Eastern Time
(Click to view this time in your local timezone)
Saturday, August 7th, 2021
3PM Eastern Time
(Click to view this time in your local timezone)
Because there's so much to discuss with this server, the announcement is split into 3 posts:
(you can click on parts 2 and 3 to jump to them)
1. Prison Gameplay Explained (you are here)
An overview of the actual Prison gameplay itself (stuff specific to Prison).
This section is explained as if you have never played Prison before. If you are an avid Prison Neptune player, much has changed! I will put out a specific post explaining this to Prison Neptune players, but for now, just read this as if nothing is the same as Prison Neptune, because a lot of things have different names & terminology.
2. Global Cosmetics System Explained
An overview of the global cosmetics system, which is shared between Modern Prison and all future OPLegends gamemodes (Skyblock V2, Minigames, etc).
3. Information for our generous Prison Neptune and Skyblock Utopia supporters (special cosmetics)
Although Modern Prison is not replacing Prison Neptune, we have some great news for all of our valued supporters!
What is Prison?The goal of Prison is to rank up to become the best by mining blocks inside of a prison mine. When you mine a block, you receive an amount of Dollars and Orbs based on your rank. As you rank up, you earn more Dollars and more Orbs per block. Dollars are spent on ranking up, while Orbs are spent on pickaxe enchants which make you mine blocks faster and more dramatically!
How do I play Prison?To play Prison on OPLegends, you log onto play.oplegends.com on Minecraft 1.17.1, click the Server Compass, and click on the right icon which says "Modern Prison". You will be able to play Modern Prison starting August 7th, 2021 at 3PM ET.
In order to play Modern Prison, you must accept a server resource pack. This is what allows us to add all of the incredible features you see below, and it is not possible to play without accepting this pack. It is also not possible to join without being on the latest release of Minecraft (currently 1.17.1) because we take advantage of so many features which are impossible to do on outdated versions like 1.8 or 1.12. Luckily, there's no PvP, so there's no reason you shouldn't update!
(Note: we will post a guide later this week explaining how to get the best performance out of 1.17.1 for users who normally get bad FPS on newer versions. You might be surprised at some of the recommendations, and you may even be surprised to find out that you can get better FPS on optimized 1.17.1 than you can on 1.8!)
Pickaxe EnchantsPickaxe Enchants are overpowered magical enchants which you can apply to your pickaxe to help you break blocks faster and make more while mining. They include exploding goats, a dragon burst enchant which removes an entire layer of the mine, a zombie army which mines for you, and even an enchant which allows you find Lucky Blocks while mining!
- Dragon Burst
- Has a chance of destroying an entire layer of the mine you are in.
- Makes you move faster while mining.
- Holy Hand Grenade
- Has a chance of launching TNT from your pickaxe, which will explode to break blocks for you.
- Apocalypse Now
- Has a chance of spawning 4 zombies around you. Each of these zombies will mine down to bedrock gradually and give you the blocks they mine.
- As you mine uninterrupted, you will slowly gain a Combo Multiplier which displays above your rank bar. This acts as a mining streak, but will disappear if you stop mining for more than a few seconds.
- As you mine, you will have a percentage chance of gaining a link on your EXP bar. When your EXP bar fills, you will destroy the entire mine, fly around to celebrate for a bit, and then you will be transported to a new mine.
- Has a chance of spawning an airstrike. This airstrike will blow up a 3x3 hole all the way down to bedrock.
- Kitty Cannon
- Has a chance of launching a cat from your pickaxe. This cat will run around for a while before making a large explosion!
- With this enchant, you have a chance of finding a Lucky Block while mining. This Lucky Block will explode into a good reward (pet food, pouches, boosters, mushrooms, or even a pet!)
- Strong Swing
- With this enchant, you have a chance of a block you break netting between 2x and 10x its normal value in orbs and money.
- Beacon Splurge
- With this enchant, you have a chance of receiving 2x beacons from blocks mined.
- Ballistic Goat
- Have a chance of spawning in an angry goat where you mine. This goat will ram all blocks in its path up until the edge of the mine, giving you the rewards.
RelicsRelics are items which have many different possible rewards. Their rewards are all items which help you in Prison, such as pouches, boosters, pet food, and even mushrooms!
Every day, the Relic Archeologist has a different selection of Relics. You can move these over into your Relic Inventory, where they will stay for the rest of the season, so you can unlock them whenever.
In order to unlock these relics, they need to go through the Relic Researcher. His high tech machine can only process one relic at a time (unless you have a Relic Slot Unlocker backpack item), so be very careful which relic you want to unlock! Each relic has a set amount of time that it takes to unlock, which can be boosted by Relic Potions or by gemming.
Once a relic is unlocked, you can claim it into your inventory. Then, you can trade it around or choose to open it. Opening a relic will reveal a special animation which will show you your reward!
PetsPets are epic companions which give you a multiplier while you mine! They come in Money and Orb varieties, and they follow you around to give you a multiplier.
Pets can be leveled up using Pet Food. If you have extra pets of a lower level that you don't want, you can exchange them at the Pet Collector to get pet food for your pet. Pet food can be found randomly while mining, or in relics or lucky blocks.
Mushroom ArmorMushroom Armor is special armor which gives you multipliers while you mine.
As you mine, you may find Mushrooms. These mushrooms have a Type (Shroom = money mushrooms, Cap = orb mushrooms), as well as a Tier (1-8). If you have enough of a certain type & tier of mushroom, you can craft it into Mushroom Armor with /mushrooms.
You can also trade-up mushrooms into higher mushrooms. For example, if you have 10 tier 1 mushrooms, it can be traded into 1 tier 2 mushroom. Each mushroom armor takes 10x mushrooms to craft.
You can also salvage old Mushroom Armor back into half of its original value.
RobotsRobots are amazing helpers which make you money without you needing to do anything! When you have robots redeemed, they will passively earn Money for you without you even needing to mine!
Even better, they will make money while you are offline! When you first join, you receive a summary of how much money your robots made while you were gone.
Your robot levels can be upgraded to increase how much money they make. You can also withdraw your robots back to eggs if you wish to trade them around to others.
Gangs and Monthly SeasonsOne of the most fun parts about Prison is competing with others to see who has the best gang. You can join a gang with others to pool together Beacons. You deposit beacons into your gang with /gang deposit, and the top gangs are ranked by Beacons.
With Modern Prison, we are introducing the concept of Seasons. Each month is a different competitive season (starting with the August season, then the September season, then the October season, and so on). Seasons always start the first Saturday of the month.
When a new season starts, all progress related to Prison will reset.
What will be reset for each season:
- Your rank progress
- Your gang & beacon progress
- Any pickaxe enchants you have
- Any prison-specific items in your inventory (Relics, Robots, Mushrooms, Pets, Pet Food, etc).
- Any prison-specific items in chests on your cells.
- Cell Builds (note: any prison season items will be automatically cleared from your cell in between seasons.)
- Any Premium Items in your Backpack (titles, hats, crates, keys, paints, furniture, etc. If it's in your backpack, it will NEVER reset.)
Cells (formerly known as Plots)Cells are your very own world where you can build anything you want and be assured that it will stay there forever (even between seasons!). If you are familiar with "Plots" on other prison servers (including Prison Neptune), Cells are the same thing, just with a different name to sound more prison-like.
Pictured: the amazing dirt hut I built on my cell.
The nice thing about Cells is you can invite anyone to them! They are independent of gangs and you can both have your own cell and be invited to others' cells. Building blocks for Cells are purchased with Experience (building blocks are the only purpose of Experience).
When you unlock Furniture from Crates, you can place it from your backpack into your cell. There are 50 pieces of furniture that will be added as the first update after launch, so get excited to build entirely new builds that were never before buildable in Vanilla Minecraft!
Private MinesThe old favorite feature from Prison Neptune is back! You can buy a Private Mine directly from our webstore and have an uninterrupted place to mine. You can set a tax on it to collect money from others as they mine.
As players mine blocks out of your pmine, the total # of blocks mined contribute to Beacon Upgrades!
With all of the Prison gameplay features out of the way, check out the next post (reply) for info about the Global Cosmetics system!